Ingleburn Municipal Council
Ingleburn's First Council Meeting
The Municipality of Ingleburn was formed in April 1896, and continued until December 1948 when it merged with the Municipality of Campbelltown to become part of Campbelltown Municipal Council (later Campbelltown City Council).
• in Ingleburn, Barff Road, Percival Avenue, Scanlen Way, Piggott Way, Lucas Way, Harris Street, Harper Way, Naylor Place, Hopping Road, Bainbridge Avenue, and Freeman Circuit;
• in Glenfield, Hosking Crescent; and
• in Minto, Joseph Whitehouse Close.
Mayors Black, Chivers, Cook, Maze, and Murray have not yet had any street names dedicated to them.
The first meeting of the Ingleburn Municipal Council was held in July 1896 at the residence of a Mr Smith in Chester Road, Ingleburn. Present at the meeting were Aldermen Barff, Collins, McInnes, Whitehouse, Percival, and Livingstone.
Alderman Barff chaired the meeting in his capacity as the first Mayor of the Municipality.
At the meeting Alderman Whitehouse was appointed acting Council Clerk (as the Council had no funds to engage a paid Council Clerk). Aldermen Livingstone, Percival, and McInnes were appointed to the Works Committee, and Mayor Barff and Aldermen Collins and Whitehouse were appointed to the Finance Committee.
It was resolved during the course of the meeting that tenders be called for two competent persons to value all the rateable property within the Municipality. Tenders for the valuers were to close no later than Tuesday the 28th July 1896. The valuations would enable the properties to be rated, thereby providing the Council with funds with which to advance the Municipality.
Alderman Livingstone expressed the view that "the Council had a difficult task before them, but he had no doubt they would prove quite equal to the occasion".